Operation North Pole is a volunteer-based public charity. ONP works with Chicago’s major children’s hospitals, providing a day of fun and fantasy for families who have a child battling a life threatening illness by hosting a fantasy trip to the North Pole. The magical experience includes, breakfast, a festive train ride to the North Pole, a visit with Santa, winter wonderland fun, entertainment, treats, personal wish list gifts, and much more! It's ONP's goal to provide these families an unforgettable experience amidst very challenging times.
Kato USA has partnered with Operation North Pole to bring this special Christmas Train - a replica of the real life Christmas Train that was operated in 2015 to life as a means to support ONP's goal of spreading the magic of the holidays. To that end a portion of the proceeds from every sale of an Operation North Pole Christmas Train Set goes towards this charitable venture to help fund the chartering of this yearly train!
Please visit the Operation North Pole web site by clicking the logo, left.
Each year ONP charters a special Metra train, designing special vinyl wraps that adorn both the outside and the insides of the cars. Each years' design is unique, making each train a festive and colorful display. This train runs on the Union Pacific Northwest Line of the Chicago Metra commuter service, operating not only as a special charter train but remaining in service for a period after the Christmas Train event as rolling billboard to spread awareness of ONP and their goals.
The modern Nippon Sharyo built bi-level is based off of the same concept as the original Santa-FE El Cepitan Bi-level design concept, whose success went on to inspire such double decker cars as Amtrak’s Superliners and the Bombardier Bi-Level car which is also used in commuter service. Today, gallery Bi-Level cars such as those used by the Chicago Metra commuter service can be seen operating in several states across the United States, such as Virginia and California.
- The F40PH locomotive uses a sophisticated lightpiping and LED system to give it directional headlight and taillight functions on the front of the locomotive for push/pull operation.
- All cars are DCC friendly, with FR11 decoders available for optional 11-211/212 Version 2 Interior Lighting Kits with LED.
- Bi-Level cab coaches feature directional lighting for push-pull operation, with alternate illuminating headlight and taillights with an on/off switch for mid-train operation. An optional FL-12 decoder can be installed in the place of the slider switch to provide DCC control over the directional lighting.
- Smooth rolling blackened metal wheels on all Bi-level cars with all-wheel electrical pickup.
- Drop in DCC compatible with the Train Control K5D7 decoder.
- Please click on KATO logo on very top left of this page for link to additional photos and videos of this new product offering.